Ok, so we had quite a disappointing chocolate scrub with big sugar crystals (albeit a nice fragrance). But don’t be disheartened Shringaristas, coz I have something better for you, something that is gentle enough to be used on your face a well as your body, something that is nourishing for the skin, something that you can make by raiding your kitchen!!!
DIY Face and Body Chocolate Scrub
Ok, let’s get the ingredients…don’t bother too much with precise measures, I just take approximate quantities:
* Rice flour
* Refined sugar (make sure the sugar is fine, if the crystals are big, just grind them a bit in a coffee grinder)
* Milk powder
* Drinking chocolate powder / cocoa powder OR instant coffee powder (in case you arent a chocoholic but a caffeine addict…i’m both. I use the coffee scrub often and that was the inspiration for the chocolate one)
That’s it! Ok, instead of the milk powder you can use milk too but then you would have to use it up immediately. With milk powder, you can mix up all the ingredients, store it in a box and use whenever you wish, as much as you wish. The same goes for the drinking chocolate powder too. If you wish, you can directly add Hershey’s chocolate syrup but again you would have to use it up immediately. ( I didn’t use Hershey’s coz I would just end up licking all of it and the scrub wouldn’t get made).
|See how fine the sugar is?
So, this is how it will look once you’ve mixed up all the powders. At this stage, it is totally edible (though it might taste a bit unusual because of the rice flour).
When you want to use this scrub, just take the required amount of scrub powder in a bowl / in your hand, add a bit of your favourite face wash/body wash to it and mix it up. Like I’ve mentioned before, I prefer to use Liquid Neutrogena to mix with my body scrubs as it is quite mild. This scrub can be used on the face as well unless you have very sensitive skin or some cuts/abrasions/active acne etc, in which case you shouldnt be using a scrub at all.
|This is how it looks when it is mixed with the cleanser.
|The sugar crystals are visible but they are really fine and hence, not harsh for the skin.
As you can see in the pic, the sugar is fine and hence the scrub doesnt crumble off. I have used it on dry skin on the back of my hand just to show you that it is a smooth, creamy scrub. When you use it on wet skin, it will lather up a bit and will be even smoother.
And there you have it….a gentle, nourishing chocolate scrub.
The combination of rice flour and fine sugar makes for a wonderful exfoliant, really good for whiteheads. The milk powder and drinking chocolate make the scrub smooth and creamy, nourish, smoothen and soften your skin and of course, give you the chocolate aroma. If you are using coffee instead of chocolate, then you are also targetting your cellulite as research shows that caffeine does help in reducing it. To what extent, I have no idea, but i do know that a lot of anti-cellulite creams and body toning gels have caffeine in their ingredient list.
Just a couple of points to remember:
* The fragrance of this scrub is NOT going to be very chocolatey. Yes, it will have a mild fragrance because of the drinking chocolate but that will get masked once you add your cleanser/body wash. If you want a more intense fragrance, you can add a few drops of chocolate essence/fragrance. Remember, all these store bought products have added fragrance.
* Do not scrub hard as though you’re trying to polish your tarnished silverware. Be gentle on your skin. Massage the scrub using gentle circular movements.
* While this is a mild scrub, please DO NOT use it if you have sensitive skin or have any cuts/bruises/active acne/rash or any other kind of skin condition. Please treat that / let it heal and then use it according to your discretion.
* After any kind of exfoliation, it is very important to hydrate and moisturise the skin. Use a body butter / lotion / cream of your choice afterwards to keep the skin soft and supple.
So, there you have it. Do let me know how you like it.
19 Replies to “Chocoholics Rejoice…A Gentle, Nourishing, DIY Face and Body Chocolate Scrub.”
I did this today after reading it here!! It smelt so amazing.. although i mixed both coco and coffee powder.
Thanks for the recepie!
Love your blog!
so glad you liked it 🙂
Saw ur blog…loved ur post on the pimple mask.
great DIY scrub, next to try in my to do list…you must try out this scrub on my blog, it also works very well
Great blog and nice post 😉 I will be here more often, I’m your new follower. Don’t forget to visit my blog too!
Welcome to my blog…will surely visit yours 🙂
An awesome and yummy recipe! Loved it and gonna try this weekend!
Thank you 🙂
Such a great idea! Will try this out for sure! Do you have a specific way of storage for this?
You can store the dry powder in any empty box. Whenever you want to use it, take the required quantity in a bowl, add cleanser/body wash to make a paste and use.
That was an excellent DIY.. I am going to try it. thanx dear for sharing.:)
Thanks…let me know how u find it 🙂
hey that’s a great idea dollie!
Glad u liked 🙂
nice one Dollie, I use diy body scrub with refined sugar and olive oil 🙂
This is such a good DIY recipe! Shall try it soon dollie!
Let me know how it works for u 🙂
Very nice review
Thanks Preethi 🙂 Do try it out.