Motherhood teaches us women a lot of things; patience, creativity, unconditional love, sensitivity….and the art of “speed makeup”! Each time that I have to go out, be it a wedding or an event, I’m invariably busy till the very last minute and then have to get ready in a record time. Hence the “10 minute makeup” like the one you saw on my Instagram feed:
Here’s the story behind this picture….
6:36pm, hubby’s call:
Him: Have you left?
Me: I’m just going home to get ready?
Him: Going home? Where are you? You know you have to reach here by 7:45 and you know you’ll get terrible traffic all the way from town to suburbs.
Me: I know. Some last minute instructions came in for son’s field trip tomorrow so had to get that stuff organised. Will get ready and reach asap.
Him: Drive carefully in your heels, ok?
6:42pm. At home.
* Quickly wash face and apply serum and moisturiser. While it’s getting absorbed into the skin, change clothes.
* Apply a foundation with good coverage like my favourite, Estée Lauder Double Wear (shall review soon). Because skin is well moisturised, it is easy to blend the foundation with the fingers. After all, you don’t have time to faff around with makeup brushes. No time for concealer either but I don’t really need it with this foundation. No powder coz I don’t need it with this foundation.
(Younger son comes in asking me where I’m going, what time I’ll get back and “don’t go momma”. Convince him I’ll be back in 20 minutes and continue with the makeup).
* Apply Chanel Illusion d’Ombre in Apparance all over the eyelid. Perfect eyeshadow for a little shimmer and you can apply with your fingers!
* Apply shimmery black eyeshadow (I applied the black one from the Lancôme Magic Voyage palette) on outer corner and crease of the lids as well as lower lash line. Doesn’t matter if you’re not too neat.
* Quickly line the eyes (I used Clinique Cream Shaper in Black Diamond) and apply mascara (Maybelline Colossal).
6:50 answer phone call from those coming along with you telling you they are waiting down for you….
* Sweep blush onto the cheeks. I used L’Oreal Lucent Magique in Sunset Glow so I didn’t have to use a separate highlighter.
* Swipe on the lipstick (MAC Please Me), apply perfume and done.
6:54pm Wear accessories and heels, grab clutch, phone, car keys, hug the boys and out of the house!
I didn’t even have time to take selfies with the freshly applied makeup. All the pictures in this post were taken at 1am, after I got back home and just before I cleansed my face (which is why the makeup appears slightly faded and the mascara has got smudged a bit, not to mention the dark circles)! Even without a powder to set the makeup, it has held up really well I feel.
I would love to have the time to do elaborate makeup with highlighting and contouring, careful blending of different eye shadows and artfully applying lipstick with a lip brush, all of which seems improbable anytime soon. But till then, I guess, I’m becoming a pro at quick 10 minute makeup 😉
By the way, how do you like my hair in the pictures? It hasn’t been styled/blow-dried; it’s just a result of getting back to my current favourite Om Ved shampoo and Rusk hair mask. This combination really controls the frizz beautifully.
Anyway, back to the makeup….what do you think of this look? Very easy, isn’t it? You can always substitute a bright pink/ red lipstick instead of this nude pink. And remember, a clean, well moisturised face is very important since it makes blending the foundation with the fingers easier. Do let me know what you think of this look and if you want a step by step picture tutorial for it….