While I have always loved makeup, my biggest beauty passion has always been skincare. This passion was fuelled when, as a teen, I used to read French Elle and Vogue which had detailed articles on how to identify your skin type and the right products to use for it. This was in the 90s, before the advent of instagram and social media so not many people were aware of the different skin types. The beauty landscape in India has since changed, and how! While people now have more knowledge about their skin type etc, there are also a plethora of products available in the market, which can actually end up confusing a person more.
Keeping this scenario in mind, Galderma, the parent company of Cetaphil and Biluma, held a Skincare Awareness Panel Discussion with renowned dermatologists and well-known influencers to discuss how the right kind of awareness can be created so that people can correctly identify their skin type, use the right products and avoid skincare disasters such as over exfoliation or chemical burns due to incorrect usage of AHAs and BHAs.
Cetaphil (Cet from Cetearyl Alcohol, a wonderful skin hydrator, and Phil meaning Love) is a globally renowned brand that has a heritage of 75 years and is the number 1 Dermatologist-prescribed brand in several countries. The products are scientifically formulated and clinically proven to nourish even the most sensitive skin.
Biluma is a brand from Galderma that works in sync with the skin’s own cicardian rhythm and helps to nourish and brighten even the most sensitive skin.
Types of Skin
Skin Types can usually be classified in to 4 types – Dry, Oily, Normal and Combination. Often times, people mistake Sensitive skin to also be another skin type; however, people across the skin spectrum can have sensitive skin, which is why it is extremely necessary to correctly identify the skin type. A person’s skin type is also quite dynamic, changing with age, season, location, hormones etc. For example, my skin, which was combination during my teens, has now become drier and more sensitive because of which, I have to be more careful while trying out new products.
Regardless of skin type, the one thing that remains constant is consistency – one has to be consistent with their skincare routine, even if it is just a simple one consisting of just cleanser and moisturiser, for it to show results.
Those who have dry skin need products that are extra gentle nourishing and help tackle the drying effects of the sun or of the AC. Products suitable for Dry skin are:
* Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser – a super gentle cleanser that removes dirt and impurities without stripping the skin of its essential moisture.
* Cetaphil Moisturising Cream – a rich cream with nourishing ingredients like Sweet Almond Oil & Vitamin E that gives long lasting hydration to dry skin.
* Cetaphil Sun – A gel-based, water and sweat resistant sunscreen that not only protects the skin from the UV rays of the sun, but also the IR rays emitted by our various devices.
The biggest concern for oily skin is clogged pores due to excess sebum and dead skin cells which could in turn, lead to blackheads and acne. However, oily skin too, needs nourishment and one has to be careful not to use products that are too harsh or too mild. Cetaphil has a great range of products for oily skin:
* Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser – this gently cleanses the skin and removes only the excess sebum without over-drying the skin.
* Cetaphil DAM Ultra Hydrating Lotion – a unique blend of shea butter and macadamia nut oil that gives 24 hour hydration without being greasy.
* Cetaphil Sun – because no matter what your skin type, it needs protection from the sun’s damaging rays.
While this skin type is quite fuss-free, you do need a consistent skincare routine to maintain it’s good health and prevent skin issues later, as you age. Depending on the weather, products from either Cetaphil’s Oily skin range or Dry Skin range can be used – for example, the cream in winters when the weather is dry and the lotion in summers.
No matter what your skin type, everyone is prone to pigmentation. It could be uneven skin tone, acne marks or sun spots. The Biluma range from Galderma is the perfect range to reduce pigmentation and helps achieve radiant, even skin tone:
* Biluma Advance Face Wash – this pH-balanced, gel texture face wash gently cleanses the skin without irritating it or leaving it feeling sticky.
* Biluma Advance Skin Brightening Lotion – a gentle, non-greasy formulation with Rumex Occidentalis extract and Vitamin E that helps reduce dark spots and even out skin tone without irritating the skin barrier. This is great for Oily skin that is sensitive. The lotion is also great for larger body areas such as arms, legs and back.
* Biluma Advance Day Cream – a nourishing, brightening cream with Rumex Occidentalis extract as well as Escalol (a UV filter for sun protection), this cream is great for Dry, Sensitive skin and helps get brighter, more even toned skin.
* Biluma Advance Night Cream – gives all night hydration due to its blend of almond oil, macadamia oil she, butter and hyaluronic acid while also brightening the skin with Kakadu Plum extracts. Doesn’t irritate the skin barrier and is suitable for all skin types.
* Biluma Advance Cream for Sensitive Areas – certain areas of the skin are even more sensitive than the others (for me, it is the area around my mouth that is prone to dermatitis) and the skin on these areas gets pigmented due to the sensitivity. This cream is specially formulated for such areas and calms the reactive skin in such areas with Tasmannia Lanceolata extracts. It also has Lime Pearl and Beta White extracts to brighten and give more even skin tone.
With such a great range of gentle, dermatologist recommended products, it is easy to maintain a simple skincare routine in the AM and PM and that is the key to great skin.
The main aim of the Galderma Skincare panel was to show that no matter what a person’s skin type, everyone can have radiant, healthy skin when they use the right skincare products consistently. What I love most about the Cetaphil and Biluma products is that you can mix and match to suit your specific skin concerns. My mother, for example, uses the Cetaphil GSS Cleanser, Cream and Sun for her morning routine and the Biluma Face Wash and Night Cream at Night. I, on the other hand, use the Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser in the morning, the Biluma Advance Cream for sensitive areas around my mouth morning and night followed by the Biluma creams for Day / Night.
What is your skin type? Have you tried any of the Cetaphil or Biluma products? Let me know in the comments.
By – Dollie Solanki (The Bombay Brunette)